Women in Tech: How to Navigate Challenges and Find Success
Guest Contributor: Gloria Martinez
Being a woman in the workplace can be hard. Being a woman working in tech can be even harder. Despite so many professional advances, gaps in pay, promotion and hiring still exist in the tech world. Which is why if you’re a woman in tech, you need these resources to help close those gaps, navigate hurdles and achieve success in your career:
Tools for Job Seekers
Knowing where to look for your perfect new job is half the battle…
- Search for freelance listings on job sites.
- Check social media sites for tech job openings.
- Be sure to network with other women in tech.
- Make sure your resume fits your experience level.
Tips for Current Professionals
…But understanding how to advance your career can also help.
- Once again, networking can be key to job growth.
- And knowing your worth is crucial for landing raises.
- Research common challenges faced by women in tech.
- Finally, know that timing is crucial when asking for a raise.
Advice for Women in Leadership
In addition to achieving their own goals, women in leadership roles have an opportunity to advance more women in tech.
- Boost your small business marketing efforts with the help of Melissa Nagy Designs.
- You’ll also want to acknowledge diversity challenges in the tech field.
- Then commit to helping your company become more diverse.
- This can include recruiting more minority candidates to openings.
- Or serving as a mentor to other women who work for you.
- Last but not least, help those women thrive in leadership roles.
Whether you are looking to support your own career or your female co-workers, having a good grasp of the challenges women in tech are dealing with can be a good place to start. Then you can work to help yourself or other women overcome those challenges. In the process you can create even more opportunities for yourself and up and coming female tech workers.
Photo Credit: Rawpixel